Get Ready for the Pink Moon: The First Full Moon of Spring in 2023
On the morning of Thursday, April 6th, 2023, the full moon will appear opposite the sun in Earth-based longitude. This lunar event, known as the Pink Moon, will peak at 12:34 a.m. ET the same day. While the moon won't actually appear pink, its name comes from the fact that it is correlated with the blooming of a pink wildflower called Phlox subulata, also known as “moss pink.” The Pink Moon is just April’s full moon, the first full moon of spring, and it will appear bright and round for about three days starting on April 4, 2023.
The Pink Moon has its roots in Native American, Colonial American, and European sources, and the Maine Farmers' Almanac began publishing Native American names for full moons in the 1930s. According to the almanac, the Pink Moon is named after the herb moss pink, also known as creeping phlox, moss phlox, or mountain phlox, a plant native to the eastern USA and one of the earliest widespread flowers of spring.
While the Pink Moon won't actually be pink, it will still be a sight to behold for sky gazers. The moon will be visible from about 7 p.m. on Wednesday, April 5th, until 7 a.m. on Thursday, April 6th, and the bright star Spica will be about 8 degrees to the lower left of the full moon.
The Pink Moon also has astrological significance, as it will occur in Libra, peaking just after midnight EST on April 6th. According to astrology expert Imani Quinn, Libra places a lot of emphasis on relationships, so themes around partnerships may come up under these moonbeams.
The Pink Moon is also the first full moon of spring, known as the Paschal full moon, which dictates the date of Easter. This year, Easter falls on Sunday, April 9th, the first Sunday after the Paschal full moon makes its appearance in the night sky.
In addition to the Pink Moon, April 23rd, 2023 will be the peak time of the Lyrid Meteor Shower, where pre-dawn hours will offer a view of around 20 shooting stars per hour.
While the moon won't actually be pink, it will still be a beautiful sight to see, and sky gazers can mark their calendars for the Pink Moon's appearance in April 2023.
0. “April's full ‘Pink Moon' will shine Wednesday with 3 planets in the night sky” WSET, 4 Apr. 2023, https://wset.com/april-full-pink-moon-dc-weather-rise-wednesday-set-sky-full-illumination-thursday-photos-planets-mercury-venus-mars-spring-flowers-in-bloom-cherry-blossoms-tidal-basin-passover-easter-holiday-celestial-events-nasa
1. “First full moon of April to peak before midnight tongiht” MyParisTexas.com, 5 Apr. 2023, https://myparistexas.com/first-full-moon-of-april-to-peaks-before-midnight-tongiht/
2. “ATTN SKYWATCHERS: Look for the April Pink Moon tonight” WSLS 10, 5 Apr. 2023, https://www.wsls.com/news/local/2023/04/05/attn-skywatchers-aprils-pink-moon-happening-tonight-april-5
3. “Don't Miss: Pink Full Moon, Lyrids Meteor Shower, Venus, Mercury, and Mars” SciTechDaily, 5 Apr. 2023, https://scitechdaily.com/dont-miss-pink-full-moon-lyrids-meteor-shower-venus-mercury-and-mars
4. “Pink Moon rises overnight tonight! Watch April's full moon live in a free webcast” Space.com, 5 Apr. 2023, https://www.space.com/pink-moon-april-full-moon-2023-rises
5. “How To Work With April's Full Pink Moon, From Astrologers | mindbodygreen” mindbodygreen, 5 Apr. 2023, https://www.mindbodygreen.com/articles/april-pink-full-moon
6. “Full Pink Paschal Moon, April Meteor Showers: When To Watch In RI” Patch, 4 Apr. 2023, https://patch.com/rhode-island/coventry/full-pink-paschal-moon-april-meteor-showers-when-watch-ri
7. “April's full pink moon will rise this week” CNN, 5 Apr. 2023, https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/05/world/april-pink-full-moon-spring-scn/index.html
8. “Watch Mars Kiss Our Crescent Moon – the Highlight of April Stargazing” Good News Network, 29 Mar. 2023, https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/april-stargazing-paschal-moon-close-approaches-of-saturn-and-mars-and-the-lyrid-meteor-shower/